Monday, November 07, 2005

Evolution of Milktoast

Welcome to wide world of Milktoast. I am sure you are asking yourself, "What in the #$%* is Milktoast?!" Well, I really have no idea myself. The nickname was given to me by my Uncle David in high school and it has just served as my screenname ever since. I have since looked it up in Webster's and found out that the word actually exists, but is spelled, Milquetoast. Anyhow, this is how Milktoast was born.

We were on our way to a family vacation to Destin, FL and while driving down I-10 (which now, I am sure is considered Hurricane Highway) he decided that we should all have nicknames for the week long trip. My friend John Groberg and Jenny Cannoles had come with me on the trip, so they of course, we lucky enough to get nicknames as well.

The naming process:
In HS, Groberg had the tendency to mumble and some of the things he said could not quite be understood. So when my uncle asked John what his last name was, my uncle mistook it for Homer. So Homer's nickname was Homer.

In 1997, a very popular song on the radio was by the Outhere Brothers titled "Boom Boom Boom let Me Hear You Say Way-ooh" and the lyrics went like this:
boom boom boom let me here you say way-ooh
me say boom boom boom now everybody say way-ooh
boom boom boom let me here you say way-ooh
me say boom boom boom now everybody say way-ooh

So with that song coming on the radio every ten minutes, my uncle decided that our friend Jenny deserved the nickname "Way-Ooh."

With Jenny and John both sporting their new nicknames, this left me. Based on the criteria that my uncle used to name the two others, I had no idea what to expect, other than something really ridiculous. Well, the next thing out of Uncle Dave's mouth was, "The other day I was drinking some milk and eating some toast." A light bulb appeared above his head and there it was, my nickname for the 1997 Hill family vacation...Milktoast. Not to be confused with Milquetoast.

MMH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home